The Armor Icon
1/2 Armor point = 1 Defence point
Armor is an item introduced in the 0.6.0 update. Armor is used to lower the amount of damage taken when worn. When the player puts on armor, they will gain Defense Points. Each Armor Icon is worth 2 Defense Points.
The highest amount of defense points available are 20, which can only be gained by wearing Diamond Armor.
From the weakest to the strongest - the order is as follows:
- Leather Armor (3.5 Armor Points)
- Gold Armor (5 Armor Points) Although, Gold Armor and tools are known to have bad durability.
- Chainmail Armor (6 Armor Points)
- Iron Armor (8.5 Armor Points)
- Diamond Armor (10 Armor Points)
Chainmail can be obtained in Chests or dropped by Armored Hostile Mobs.
- Helmet = 5 ingots/pieces
- Chestplate = 8 ingots/pieces
- Leggings = 7 ingots/pieces
- Boots = 4 ingots/pieces
Armor can protect the player from-
- Damage from Mobs
- Lava/Fire Damage
- Fall Damage
- Projectile Damage
- Explosion damage
Armor cannot protect the player from:
- The Void
- Constant fire damage
- Harmful potion effects
- In the PC and the Console editions of Minecraft, Chainmail Armor can be crafted from unobtainable Fire Blocks (which have to be hacked or modded into the game), providing armor that is slightly stronger than Gold or Leather.
- Chainmail is the only Armor which cannot be crafted in PE.
- Leather Armor is the only armor that can be dyed, however this feature will be added in 0.14.0.
- A Chainmail helmet and iron helmet have the same armor status.
- Zombies and Skeletons can spawn wearing armor. They will drop it upon being defeated.