The Armor Icon
1/2 Armor point = 1 Defense point
Armor is an item introduced in Update 0.6.0. Armor is used to lower the amount of damage taken when worn. When the player puts on armor, they will gain Defense Points. Each Armor Icon is worth 2 Defense Points.
The highest amount of defense points available (without enchanting) are 20, which can only be gained by wearing a full set of Diamond armour.
From the weakest to the strongest - the order is as follows:
- Leather Armor (7 Armor Points)
- Gold Armor (10 Armor Points)
- Chainmail Armor (12 Armor Points)
- Iron Armor (17 Armor Points)
- Diamond Armor (20 Armor Points)
- Helmet = 5 ingots/pieces
- Chestplate = 8 ingots/pieces
- Leggings = 7 ingots/pieces
- Boots = 4 ingots/pieces
Armor can protect the Player from:
- Damage from Mobs
- Lava/Fire Damage
- Fall Damage
- Projectile Damage
- Explosion damage
- Damage from other Players
- Getting struck by Lightning
- Cactus thorn damage
Armor cannot protect the player from:
- In the PC edition of Minecraft, Chainmail Armor can be crafted from unobtainable Fire Blocks.
- Chainmail is the only Armor which cannot be crafted in PE.
- Leather Armor is the only armor that can be Dyed.
- Zombies, Zombie Pigmen, and Skeletons can spawn wearing armor, and have a minor chance to drop it upon death.
- If Armor is placed in a Dispenser and is activated, the armor will automatically be placed on the Player.
- In Update 0.14.0, mobs wearing Enchanted Armor appeared to have their armor glowing purple.
- This did not apply to the player.