The Armor Icon
1/2 Armor point = 1 Defence point
Armor is an item introduced in the 0.6.0 update. Armor is used to lower the amount of damage taken when worn. When the player puts on armor, they will gain Defense Points. Each Armor Icon is worth 2 Defense Points and represents 8% protection, so in total you can only achieve 80% protection- sadly you can't be totally immune to damage in survival mode.
The highest amount of defense points available are 20, which can only be gained by wearing Diamond Armor.
From the weakest to the strongest - the order is as follows:
- Leather Armor (3 and a half armor icons)
- Gold Armor (5 and a half armor icons)
- Chainmail Armor (6 armor icons)
- Iron Armor (8 and a half armor icons)
- Diamond Armor (10 armor icons)
Chainmail can be obtained in Chests or dropped by armored Hostile Mobs.
Helmet = 5 ingots/pieces
Chestplate = 8 ingots/pieces
Leggings = 7 ingots/pieces
Boots = 4 ingots/pieces
Armor can protect the player from-
- Damage from Mobs
- Lava/Fire Damage
- Fall Damage
- Projectile Damage
- Explosion damage
Armor cannot protect the player from:
- The Void
- Constant fire damage
- Harmful potion effects
- In the PC and the Console editions of Minecraft, Chainmail Armor can be crafted from unobtainable Fire Blocks (which have to be hacked or modded into the game), providing armor that is slightly stronger than Gold or Leather.
- Chainmail is the only Armor which cannot be Crafted.
- Leather Armor is the only armor that can be dyed, however this feature is not added to PE yet.