The 5 Types of Axes
Axes are Tools used for chopping Wood-related Blocks and are the second most powerful Weapons, next to the Sword. The Axe is arguably the most versatile Tool, because of its medium effectiveness in all other aspects.
- The Diamond Axe is the strongest and second fastest Axe. It is also as powerful as an Iron Sword.
- It can kill all Passive Mobs in 3 hits or less.
- The Golden Axe is the fastest Axe, but only has 33 durability, like all Golden Tools.
- Axes deal one less damage to Mobs than a Sword made from the same material. (e.g. an Iron Axe will do 3 hearts of damage, vs 3.5 hearts done by the Iron Sword)
- As a result, Axes deal the same damage as a Sword type made from the lesser material, so, for example, an Iron Axe will do as much damage as a Stone Sword.
- In "The Nether Update" (Update 0.12.1), Axes grew in power by getting more of a chance to give a critical blow.
- Axes use the same Crafting materials as a Pickaxe but in a different arrangement.
- With the Silk Touch Enchantment, Axes can be used to obtain Vines.
- Axes can be Enchanted with Sharpness, Smite, or Bane of Arthropods along with the regular Tool enchantments.
- Axes mine Pumpkins faster than any other tool.