Bats spawn anywhere at a light level of 4 or less on opaque Blocks below Layer 63.
During the day, Bats will hang onto Blocks and 'sleep'. They will, however, start flying if the Player approaches them. Bats cannot hang onto transparent or non-solid Blocks, such as Glass.
- Although they are Passive Mobs, they despawn after the Player moves too far away from them.
- This is because they are coded into the game as Hostile Mobs.
- Bats don't recognize Lava as an obstruction, so they can easily fly into it, catch Fire and die.
- They can be very hard to kill as their hit-box is smaller than a Block and they can fly in all directions.
- They are the first of six flying Mobs in Minecraft PE.
- They are the second weakest and smallest Mob in the game, after the Chicken.
- The Bat is one of two passive Mobs in the game to not drop a single Item (not even Experience), the other Mob being the Villager.
- Easter Egg: Between October 20 and November 4 (around Halloween), Bats spawn anywhere in a light level of 7 or less, instead of a light level of 4 or less.
PassiveSheep • Cow • Mooshroom • Pig • Bat • Villager • Chicken • Squid • Rabbit
HostileZombie (Zombie Villager • Husk) • Skeleton (Stray) • Creeper • Slime • Spider • Cave Spider • Guardian • Vex • Vindicator • Evoker • Ghast • Blaze • Magma Cube • Wither Skeleton • Witch • Endermite • Shulker • Silverfish
NeutralZombie Pigman • Enderman • Spider • Cave Spider • Polar Bear
TamableWolf • Ocelot • Horse • Llama
BossesEnder Dragon • Wither • Elder Guardian
Utility MobsIron Golem • Snow Golem
JockeysSpider Jockey • Chicken Jockey