Creepers spawn in Light Levels of 7 or below.
Creepers follow the Player when they are within 16 Blocks, and attack by exploding. When within three blocks of a Player, Creepers will explode violently after 1.5 seconds. A Creeper on Fire will also set the Player on Fire if it explodes. They make a sharp hissing sound and start flashing before doing so. A Creeper's detonation can be halted if the Player gets out of its blast radius of 7 blocks.
Creepers avoid Ocelots, both wild and tamed.
Charged Creepers are a variant of Creepers that were added in Update 0.12.1. They spawn when Lightning strikes within a 5 block radius of a Creeper; however, this is very rare. They have a much larger explosion, and deal much more damage to the Player and the terrain. When they explode near a Zombie, Skeleton, Wither Skeleton, or another Creeper, the Mob will drop its head.
It is best to use a Bow when fighting Creepers; however, a strong Sword, like an Iron or Diamond Sword, using a charge-and-retreat strategy can be effective. Another possible method is to force the Creeper to explode by igniting it with Flint and Steel.
- Creepers were accidentally created when Notch was programming the Pig, getting the height and length mixed up.
- Unlike other versions, Creepers can damage the player and any other Mobs whilst being inside a body of Water.
- If Creepers explode on any kind of Slab, only the Slab will be destroyed.
- Creeper Explosions cannot break Blocks in Water.
- After Update 0.14.0, Creeper Explosions deal more damage to the Player, Creepers are slightly smaller (1.7 blocks tall rather than 1.8), and wearing a Creeper Head will knock their detection range of the wearer by 50%.
- Version Exclusive: After Update 0.16.0, Creepers have idle sounds.
- If the Player gives a Charged Creeper a Potion of Invisibility, the electrical particles will still be visible.
- As of Update 1.1, a Creeper face is visible on Cyan Glazed Terracotta.
- Creepers are the only Mob to have a special drop if killed by another entity.
PassiveSheep • Cow • Mooshroom • Pig • Bat • Villager • Chicken • Squid • Rabbit
HostileZombie (Zombie Villager • Husk) • Skeleton (Stray) • Creeper • Slime • Spider • Cave Spider • Guardian • Vex • Vindicator • Evoker • Ghast • Blaze • Magma Cube • Wither Skeleton • Witch • Endermite • Shulker • Silverfish
NeutralZombie Pigman • Enderman • Spider • Cave Spider • Polar Bear
TamableWolf • Ocelot • Horse • Llama
BossesEnder Dragon • Wither • Elder Guardian
Utility MobsIron Golem • Snow Golem
JockeysSpider Jockey • Chicken Jockey