The easiest way to locate a Dungeon is either to follow the sound of a Mob, or locating the origin of a steady stream of a particular Mob type which can be spawned within a Dungeon.
In the center of the room there is a Monster Spawner, and 0-3 chests around the walls. The Monster Spawner in a Dungeon only spawns one kind of Mobs, from the following list:
As described in detail on the Monster Spawner page, it can be disabled by adequate lighting, or it can be destroyed using a Pickaxe. However, destroying the Monster Spawner is in general a bad idea, as Experience farms can be built around a Monster Spawner easily.
It is possible to find the following loot in a Dungeon:
It's possible to access the loot in the Chests through holes from the sides of the Dungeon. If a hole is placed at floor level, neither of the Mobs can attack the Player with the exception of stray Arrows from Skeletons.
- In the Beta Builds for Update 0.15.0, there was a bug where Dungeons and Strongholds would not generate.
- Before Update 0.9.4, there was a bug that caused the Monster Spawners to spawn Hostile Mobs, even when on Peaceful.
- Very rarely, one Dungeon may intersect with another, forming a double Dungeon.
- Dungeons are often used to farm Experience, due to the large amounts of Mobs which spawn in Dungeons.
- Bug: There was a bug where Chests were invisible. The Player could walk over them and bump into them, but could not access them.
Moss Stone Boulders | Abandoned Mineshaft (Mesa Mineshafts) | Dungeon | Mineral Vein | Desert Well | Lava Pools | Fallen Tree | Caves | Ravine | Stronghold | Village | Giant Mushrooms | Ice Spikes | Libraries | Desert Temple | Witch Hut | Jungle Temple | Ocean Monument | Igloo | Nether Fortress | Glowstone Cluster | End City | Chorus Tree | End Gateway Portal | Woodland Mansion