A Pair of Elytra Wings
Elytra are equipped in the Chestplate Slot; once equipped, the Player can jump from any height and in midair the direction can be controlled by looking up, down, left or right.
Looking up temporarily increases the Player's altitude, but looking up for a prolonged duration causes the Player to stall in mid-air and descend at a faster velocity.
Durability and Repair
An Elytra has 431 Durability points, and consumes one point per second. Once Durability is exhausted, the item will turn into a "Broken Elytra" which has a tattered texture.
An Elytra which has lost durability can be repaired by placing two pairs of damaged Elytra in a Crafting Table together. Doing so will add their durability and add an extra 5%.
A "Broken Elytra" item, however, must be repaired using Leather, with 4 Leather being required to completely restore its durability.
- The word "Elytra" is actually derived from the word "Elytron", which means a beetle's wings.
- Elytras can be Enchanted, but only with Unbreaking, in an Anvil.
- Elytras appear grey unless the Player is wearing a Cape. The Elytra will then 'adopt' the colour of the Cape.
- Version Exclusive: Increasing height by hitting oneself with Punch Enchanted Arrows is not possible in MCPE, as the Player cannot shoot themself with a Bow.
- Easter Egg: According to a tweet by Tommaso Checchi, the controls for the Elytra in Pocket Edition is almost based off the game Super Mario 64.
- As of Update 1.0.5, Mobs can wear Elytra with the help of a Command Block.