Endermen wander aimlessly around the world, and teleport randomly. They spawn neutral, but will become hostile if provoked by the Player staring at their upper body or attacking them. They open their mouth when feeling alarmed. Endermen will find and attack Endermites. They will also avoid both Water and Lava.
Endermen also have the ability to move the following Blocks:
- Grass Block
- Red Sand
- Blue Orchid
- Azure Bluet
- All four types of Tulips
- Oxeye Daisy
Combat against Endermen can be difficult due to their high Health and ability to teleport. At least an Iron Sword is recommended, and Armor is also suggested. A Bow cannot be used as the Enderman will always teleport away before the arrow hits them.
Since Endermen avoid Water, placing down a Water Bucket can allow the Player to escape large groups of Endermen.
- The Enderman was inspired by the creepypasta, Slenderman.
- Endermen take fall damage but often teleport away preventing the damage.
- Endermen did not drop the blocks they were holding before Update 0.14.0.
- Endermen can cause in-game glitches if they are spawned (using Spawn Eggs) in places lower than 3 blocks.
- Enderman sounds seem to be reversed words:
- The "idle1" sound is a reversed “here”.
- The "idle2" sound is a reversed “hiya".
- The "idle3" sound is a down-pitched “what's up?” or "this way!"
- The "idle4" sound is a down-pitched “reversed "forever!"
- The "idle5" sound is a reversed "uh oh!"
- Before Update 0.11.0, Endermen could be hit with Eggs and Snowballs.
- Version Exclusive: Endermen have two more Ender Particles on their hands.
- Since Update 0.15.0, Endermen can spawn in the Nether.
- A group of two or more Endermen is called a haunting.
- Endermen are the only mobs that spawn naturally in all 3 habitable dimensions: The Overworld, Nether and the End.
- After Update 1.0, Endermen will drop 0-1 Ender Pearls.