Fluids are technical blocks that flow and spread themselves. They technically cannot be 'mined' or 'placed', although the source block of the fluid can be obtained and placed on a block by the use of a bucket.
There are 3 fluids in Minecraft:
Milk is only a technical fluid, due to it being obtained by Cows, but not having the properties to be placed.
Fluid blocks have many uses:
- Water can be used to hydrate Farmland blocks to grow crops on them.
- Water can be obtained in Glass Bottles and used for Potion.
- Sugarcane needs to be grown next to water.
- Lava can be used for traps.
- Lava and Water can be used to create Obsidian, Cobblestone, and Stone.
- Milk is used as an ingredient in crafting Cake.
- Milk can be used to remove Status Effects (since Update 0.11.0).
- Before 0.7.0, due to the lack of buckets, there was no way to control fluids, even in Creative Mode.
- Milk is technically a fluid, but does not take any form other than a Milk-filled bucket. It cannot be placed either.