It is possible to lose health by one of the following methods:
- Fall Damage
- Being Attacked by a Mob/Player (eg. Being attacked by a Zombie)
- Touching Cacti
- Jumping into the Void
- Getting caught in an explosion
- Being hit by a projectile (ex. Arrow)
- Being inflicted by a harmful Status Effect (Can be from Potions or mobs such as the Wither Skeleton)
- Running into a cliff on an Elytra
The main method to regain health is to keep the Hunger bar above 17 Hunger points (x8.5), where the Player will slowly heal 1 Health point () every 4 seconds until the health bar is full, or the Hunger bar has gone below the treshold again.
The other method is through the use of Potions, especially through the use of Instant Health from Potion of Healing, and Regeneration from Potion of Regeneration, a Golden Apple or an Enchanted Golden Apple. Instant Health heals 4 Health points () per level of the Player. Regeneration heals 1 Health point () every 2.5 Seconds.
Death is an in-game mechanic which occurs if the Player's health bar is completely depleted. Upon reaching 4 Health points (), the Player's health bar will begin to shake, and once all hearts are gone, the Player dies and the death screen shows up, of which the Player can choose to respawn at their spawn point, or return to the main menu.
When the Player respawns, any items carried by the Player at the time of death, including Armor, will be dropped at the player's death spot, and the Player's Experience Points will also be lost. The Player can redeem at the most 5 experience levels.
Death Messages are messages that are displayed in chat to show that a player has died. They were added in Update 0.11.0.
List of Death Messages
The following death messages can be displayed in the chat in Minecraft PE when a Player dies:
|[player] was slain by [player/mob]||Occurs if the Player was killed by melee damage inflicted by a player or mob|
|[player] was shot by [player/mob]||Occurs if the Player was killed by ranged damage by a player or mob|
|[player] drowned||Occurs if the Player was killed by drowning in Water|
|[player] was pricked to death||Occurs if the Player was killed by coming in contact with Cacti|
|[player] blew up||Occurs if the Player was caught in an explosion|
|[player] was blown up by [player]||Occurs if the Player was blown up using TNT|
|[player] hit the ground too hard||Occurs if the Player was killed by fall damage from a short fall|
|[player] fell from a high place||Occurs if the Player was killed by fall damage from a fall of at least five blocks|
|[player] was squashed by a falling anvil||Occurs if the Player was killed by damage from a falling Anvil|
|[player] went up in flames||Occurs if the Player died of Fire damage while standing in the source of the Fire|
|[player] burned to death||Occurs if the Player died of Fire damage, but outside the source of the Fire|
|[player] tried to swim in lava||Occurs if the Player dies of Lava damage|
|[player] was struck by lightning||Occurs if the Player was killed by the damage inflicted by lightning|
|[player] died||Occurs if the Player was killed by a Ghast or Blaze's Fireball|
|[player] was killed by [player/mob] using magic||Occurs if the Player was killed by a player or mob using a Splash Potion of Harming|
|[player] starved to death||Occurs if the Player dies of starvation damage inflicted by an empty hunger bar in Hard difficulty|
|[player] suffocated in a wall||Occurs if the Player dies of suffocation damage inflicted when his/her head gets inside an opaque block|
[player] was killed while trying to hurt [player/mob]
|Occurs if the Player dies of damage inflicted by Armor enchanted with the "Thorns" enchantment, while attacking a certain player or mob|
|[player] fell out of the world||Occurs if the Player dies of Void damage.|
|[player] withered away||Occurs if the Player dies from the 'Wither' Status Effect|
|[player] experienced kinetic energy||Occurs if the Player runs into a cliff using an Elytra|
- Before the hunger bar was added in Update 0.12.1, eating food directly restored health.
- Although all Players have 20 hit points (x10) of health, it is possible to gain extra health through the un-added "Health Boost" status effect.
- Death Messages used to be displayed behind the death screen.
- However, since Update 0.14.0 the message will only be displayed to the Player who died if they choose to respawn.
- To restock the Hunger Bar efficiently, thusly allowing regaining of Health, Carrots are good food items to keep around as they fill the gap of 3 Hunger Points ().
- In update 1.1, the health bar and hunger bar will be located above the hot bar. (Like in PC).