Light level 15
Lava spawns in caves and sometimes on the surface in forms of Lava Pools bordered with stone, making them easy to detect. In old world types, Lava was very difficult to locate, as caves were not available.
- When flowing Lava touches flowing Water, Cobblestone can be infinitely created and mined.
- If Lava touches a Water source block smooth stone is created.
- When Stationary Lava touches flowing Water, Obsidian is created.
- When the player touches Lava, they will start to take 2 hearts of damage every second.
- The player will also get the fire animation on the screen, obstructing their view, indicating they are on fire.
- Mobs touching lava will get the same effect.
It is recommended that players carry at least one bucket of water with them when planning to mine, as they may drop into lava. Quick placing of the Water can prevent players from dying. Using a potion of fire resistance can also save the player from potential death.
- If a block is placed onto a Lava source block, it will destroy the lava source and it will disappear. The same is also true for Water.
- Lava was nerfed in Alpha 0.3.3 due to a major fire bug, that would destroy the entire world.
- The damage taken can be reduced in 0.12.1 using 'Fire Protection' enchantments or potions.
- Since the Lava has different physics, it is not possible to make infinite Lava sources.