Light level 15
Lava spawns in Caves and sometimes on the surface in forms of Lava Pools. These are usually bordered with Stone, with the exception of an occasional Sand border, making them easy to detect. In Old World types, Lava was very difficult to locate, as Caves were not available. Lava will also spawn in Villages within a blacksmith's forge. Lava "oceans" several blocks deep will also spawn in the Nether, as well as Lava falls.
- When flowing Lava touches flowing Water, Cobblestone can be infinitely created and mined.
- If Lava touches a Water source block, Stone is created.
- When Lava touches flowing Water, Obsidian is created.
- When Lava flows into flowing water from above, Stone can be infintely created and mined.
- Lava can set fire to flammable blocks if they are nearby.
- When the Player touches Lava, they will start to take 2 hearts of damage per second.
- A Player in Lava will also get the fire animation on the screen, obstructing their view, indicating they are on fire.
- Most mobs touching Lava will get the same effect, with the exceptions of Nether mobs such as Zombie Pigmen, Blazes, etc. which are immune to Fire.
- Any Blocks thrown into Lava are incinerated.
- All projectiles that pass through Lava will catch fire and burn the Players or Mobs for 4 seconds upon impact.
- Lava can ignite TNT.
It is recommended that Players carry at least one Bucket of Water with them when planning to mine as they may drop into Lava accidentally. Quickly placing the Water between them and a pool of Lava below can prevent Players from falling in and preventing potential death.
- Lava damages Endermen, and causes them to teleport away when in contact.
- Lava will also damage Witches. However, they will drink a Potion of Fire Resistance, making them immune to the effects of Lava.
- If a Block is placed onto a Lava source block, it will destroy the source and eventually all the Lava will disappear. The same is also true for Water.
- Lava was removed in Alpha 0.3.3 due to a major fire bug that would ignite the entire world, rendering it uninhabitable. It was re-added in Update 0.7.0.
- After Update 0.12.1, Lava received many changes:
- The damage taken from Lava could now be reduced using Fire Protection or Potions.
- It emitted a brighter light level.
- It became possible to swim and get out of Lava.
- Since Lava has unique physics, it is not possible to make infinite sources of Lava.
- In the Nether, Lava flows quicker and further, much like water.
- When Lava is placed on top of a solid, opaque block, droplets of Lava will fall from the bottom of the solid block.
- Version Exclusive: After Update 0.14.2, Lava, along with Water, got a new animation.
- An alternative form of Lava, called Stationary Lava, acts the same as normal Lava but will not flow until a block is updated near it.
- This block is exclusively available through Inventory Editing.
- After Update 0.16.0, it became possible to drown in Lava.