Using an Anvil
- Map + 8 Paper => Zoomed out Map
- Map + Empty Map => 2 identical Maps
- Map + 1 Compass => Map with indicator
Maps are empty when Crafted, and are gradually drawn as the Player explores with the Map equipped in their Inventory. Maps can also include an indicator which shows the Player's location (and direction) in real time. Other Players can also be seen, if they are within distance of the Map. Maps can also be displayed in Item Frames.
Note that if one of the copies of a duplicated Map is updated, the other Maps also get the updates. This allows for mapping efforts where one copy resides in a Map display, and the other is carried by an exploring Player.
There are 5 Map sizes in Minecraft PE:
- The basic Map (zoom level 0) has a size of 128 x 128 Blocks.
- The zoom level 1 Map has a size of 256 x 256 Blocks.
- The zoom level 2 Map has a size of 512 x 512 Blocks.
- The zoom level 3 Map has a size of 1024 x 1024 Blocks.
- The zoom level 4 Map has a size of 2048 x 2048 Blocks.
Contrary to earlier version in the PC version, when Maps are zoomed out, they will not overlap with other Maps at the same zoom level. This helps aligning Maps.
- Maps are useful to survey the surface terrain since it displays visible overview Blocks.
- A Map is held with two hands in first person view.
- If the Player views the Map while using third person view, it will look like an item.
- When creating Maps in the Nether, the created Maps will show nothing except a black void and the Bedrock layer of the Nether.
- When the Player is holding a Map that is created in the Nether and enhanced with a Compass, the indicator will start spinning everywhere.
- Version Exclusive: As of Update 0.16.0, Maps show different colors according to different Biomes.
- As of Update 1.0, Maps are able to work in The End.
- A map with an Indicator can't be obtained in the Creative inventory.
- Maps can rarely spawn in Strongholds of the surface above.