Minecraft Pocket Edition (also called Minecraft PE or MCPE) is a version of Minecraft created for mobile devices, released for Xperia PLAY on August 16, 2011, Android on October 7, 2011, iOS on November 17, 2011, and Amazon Fire TV on April 4, 2014. It is also avalaible for download on Samsung Apps.
The current version of Minecraft Pocket Edition is Update 0.9.5.
Where as the PC version is written in Java, PE has been ported to C++ to function on mobile processors. Even though Android can support Java, since iOS is incapable of supporting Java, C++ is used for cross-platform compatibility.
When Minecraft Pocket Edition was first released, it was with reduced features, providing access to Creative mode only. Following versions have brought the PE version closer to parity with the PC version, as the port to C++ continues and mobile processing power increases.
Minecraft Pocket Edition has received critically favorable reviews, earning a 4 out of 5 on PCmag and a 7.5 out of 10 on IGN. It remains #1 for top paid apps on the App Store and is #17 for most grossing app overall.
Pocket Edition developers have tried to make the game diverse from PC, with the following features:
- Aside from Infinite and Flat world types, there is an "Old" world type, featuring a finite area of 256x256 blocks with a barrier of Invisible Bedrock. This is meant for devices that don't handle Infinite worlds well.
- The Invisible Bedrock barrier can be walked on, due to the 128-block world height limit, which also doesn't allow for blocks to be placed on it.
- Biomes that exceed the 128-block height limit are shrunk to fit.
- The Far Lands and Stripe Lands are present.
- Fallen Trees are present.
- Ravines, Witch Huts, Desert Temples and Ocean Monuments are not present.
- Huge Mushrooms can be up to 13 blocks tall.
- Villages have Wooden Plank bridges replacing Gravel roads over bodies of Water.
- Villager houses have Carpet tables, instead of Pressure plate tables.
- Chests in blacksmiths may contain ink sacs and/or Emeralds, which is the only way to get Ink Sacs and is an easier alternative to Emerald mining.
- Cobblestone does not generate beneath Gravel roads.
- The graphics are more vibrant and smoother than in PC, such as an improved burning animation for entities.
- Shadows on entities move depending on the position of the sun.
- The Nether is not present, but it is replaced by the Nether Reactor. When the Reactor is placed in a certain way with Gold and Cobblestone, it will trigger a huge Netherrack fortress, when the core is activated. Zombie Pigmen spawn and are hostile towards the player. Certain items randomly spawn scattered in the room.
- Beetroots, Beetroot Seeds and Beetroot Soup are exclusive to Pocket Edition. Beetroot can be crafted into Rose Red and heals 1 health point, however making it into soup recovers much more. It has a 1 in of 14 chance to pop out of Grass Blocks while harvesting.
- The Stonecutter is present, which can craft all the types of Stone, Bricks, and Quartz, freeing room for Crafting Table slots.
- Glowing Obsidian is present, which can only be generated in the Nether Reactor and is unobtainable. It is red and emits dim light.
- Zombie Pigmen are naturally hostile.
- Sheeps' color around its face and patches when sheared correspond its Wool color.
- Sugar Cane can be grown with Bone Meal.
- Trees grow faster.
- Monster Spawner are available in Creative mode, and what it spawns can be changed with a Spawn Egg.
- Amazon Fire TV is the first system to allow controller support with Minecraft Pocket Edition.