Minecraft: Pocket Edition was released on the following dates for various devices:
- Xperia PLAY -August 16, 2011
- Android- October 7, 2011
- iOS- November 17, 2011
- Amazon Fire TV- April 4, 2014
- Windows Phone Store - December 10, 2014
- Windows 10 Store - July 29, 2015
- Apple TV - December 19, 2016
A version for Hololens has also been announced.
- iOS 8+: Update 1.1
- Google Play on Android 4.2+: Update 1.1
- Amazon Appstore (Fire OS): Update 1.1
- Windows 10 Store: Update 1.1
- Apple TV: Update 1.1
- Official site page (currently redirects to Minecraft.net)
- Last retrieved version from Wayback Machine: minecraft.net/pocket
- iOS App Store
- Google Play
- Amazon Appstore
- Windows Phone Store
- Windows 10 Store
Where as the PC version is written in Java, Minecraft Pocket Edition has been ported to C++ to function on mobile processors. Even though Android can support Java, since iOS is incapable of supporting Java, C++ is used for cross-platform compatibility.
Minecraft Pocket Edition developers have tried to make the game diverse from PC. A full list of Minecraft Pocket Edition exclusive features may be seen at Pocket Edition Exclusive Features.
Minecraft Pocket Edition has received critically favorable reviews, earning a 4 out of 5 on PCmag and a 7.5 out of 10 on IGN. It remains #1 for top paid apps on the App Store and is #15 for most grossing app overall.
- Amazon Fire TV is the first system to allow controller support with Minecraft Pocket Edition.