Minecraft Pocket Edition (also called Minecraft PE or MCPE) is a version of Minecraft created for mobile devices, released for Xperia PLAY on August 16, 2011, Android on October 7, 2011, iOS on November 17, 2011, and Amazon Fire TV on April 4, 2014. It is also avalaible for download on Samsung Apps.
The current version of Minecraft Pocket Edition is Update 0.9.4.
Where as the PC version is written in Java, PE has been ported to C++ to function on mobile processors. Even though Android can support Java, since iOS is incapable of supporting Java, C++ is used for cross-platform compatibility.
When Minecraft Pocket Edition was first released, it was with reduced features, providing access to Creative mode only. Following versions have brought the PE version closer to parity with the PC version, as the port to C++ continues and mobile processing power increases.
Minecraft Pocket Edition has received critically favorable reviews, earning a 4 out of 5 on PCmag and a 7.5 out of 10 on IGN. It remains #1 for top paid apps on the App Store and is #17 for most grossing app overall.
Differences between other versions of Minecraft to Pocket Edition
- The worlds in PE can be infinite; the player can choose for the world to have a size of 256x256. They stop at the invisble bedrock.
- Pocket Edition uses a slightly varied version of the PC crafting system.
- Pocket Edition has a few exclusive features that cannot be found in any other version of Minecraft. An example is the Nether Reactor, the Stonecutter, Beetroot items, and Pigs can be breeded with more items.
- There is no End in Pocket Edition and The Nether does not exist, but is replaced by the Nether Reactor, which is planned to be updated in 0.9.0 and then replaced later on, but was not updated in 0.9.0.
- It is harder to get Mods, Texture Packs and skins in Pocket Edition as it requires jailbreaking.
- Pocket Edition has much fewer blocks and game mechanics than the PC edition.
- Amazon Fire TV is the first system to allow controller support with Minecraft Pocket Edition.