Minecraft: Pocket Edition (also called Minecraft PE or MCPE) is a version of Minecraft created for mobile devices, released for Xperia PLAY on August 16, 2011, Android on October 7, 2011, iOS on November 17, 2011, Amazon Fire TV on April 4, 2014 and Windows Phone Store on December 10, 2014. It is also available for download on Samsung Apps.
Editions for Hololens and Windows 10 have also been announced.
The current version of Minecraft Pocket Edition is Update 0.13.0
Where as the PC version is written in Java, PE has been ported to C++ to function on mobile processors. Even though Android can support Java, since iOS is incapable of supporting Java, C++ is used for cross-platform compatibility.
When Minecraft Pocket Edition was first released, it was with reduced features, providing access to Creative mode only. Following versions have brought the PE version closer to parity with the PC version, as the port to C++ continues and mobile processing power increases.
- iOS 5.0+: 0.13.0
- Android 2.3+
- Google Play: 0.13.0
- Samsung apps: 0.9.5
- Amazon appstore (Fire OS): 0.13.0
- Windows Phone 8.1+: 0.13.0
- Official site page (currently redirects to Minecraft.net)
- Last retrieved version from Wayback Machine: minecraft.net/pocket
- iOS App Store
- Google Play
- Amazon Appstore
- Windows Phone Store
Minecraft Pocket Edition has received critically favorable reviews, earning a 4 out of 5 on PCmag and a 7.5 out of 10 on IGN. It remains #1 for top paid apps on the App Store and is #17 for most grossing app overall.
Pocket Edition developers have tried to make the game diverse from PC, with the following features:
- Aside from Infinite and Flat world types, there is an "Old" world type, featuring a finite area of 256x256 blocks with a barrier of Invisible Bedrock. Low-end supported devices have Infinite worlds generation disabled by default, but it can be re-enabled in the game options under the "Experimental" tab.
- The Invisible Bedrock barrier can be walked on, due to the 128-block world height limit, which also doesn't allow for blocks to be placed on it.
- Biomes that exceed the 128-block height limit are shrunk to fit.
- The Far Lands and Stripe Lands are present.
- Fallen Trees are present.
- Huge Mushrooms can be up to 13 blocks tall.
- Wooden Plank bridges replacing Grass Paths roads over bodies of Water.
- Village houses have brown Carpet tables, instead of Pressure plate tables.
- Cobblestone does not generate beneath Grass Path roads.
- The graphics are more vibrant and smoother than in PC, such as an improved burning animation for entities.
- Shadows on entities move depending on the position of the sun.
- The Stonecutter is a block which was used for crafting stone blocks and the alike. However, it became obsolete in 0.13.0 and is no longer in Survival Mode.
- Glowing Obsidian is present, which can only be generated in the Nether Reactor and is unobtainable. It is red and emits dim light.
- Sheeps' color around its face and patches when sheared correspond its Wool color.
- Sugar Cane can be grown with Bone Meal.
- Trees grow faster.
- Monster Spawner are available in Creative mode, and what it spawns can be changed with a Spawn Egg.
- Amazon Fire TV is the first system to allow controller support with Minecraft Pocket Edition.