Minecraft Pocket Edition (also called Minecraft PE or MCPE) is a version of Minecraft created for mobile devices, released for Xperia PLAY on August 16, 2011, Android on October 7, 2011, and iOS on November 17, 2011. Where as the PC version is written in Java, PE has been ported to C++ to function on mobile processors, which do not have the processing power to support a Java interpreter. When Minecraft Pocket Edition was first released, it was with reduced features, providing access to Creative mode only. Following versions have brought the PE version closer to parity with the PC version, as the port to C++ continues and mobile processing power increases.
Differences between other versions of Minecraft to Pocket Edition
- The worlds in PE are not infinite; they have a size of 256x256. They stop at the invisble bedrock.
- Pocket Edition uses MATTIS for crafting which is similar to the XBOX 360 edition's crafting.
- Pocket Edition has a few exclusive features that cannot be found in any other version of Minecraft.
- There is no End in Pocket Edition and The Nether does not exist, but is replaced by the Nether Reactor, which is planned to be updated in 0.9.0 and then replaced later on.
- It is tremendously harder to get Mods, Texture Packs and skins in Pocket Edition as it requires jailbreaking.
- Pocket Edition has much fewer blocks and game mechanics than the PC edition.