The Stages of the Moon
Game Mechanic Sprite
The Moon is a square-like object in the sky, added in Update 0.7.3. It appears at night and during sunset. The Moon cycles through a series of phases, following the behavior of the real moon.
The moon illuminates Blocks during the night like the Sun; however, it only illuminates them to a light level of four, unlike the sun's light level, which is fifteen. This allows Hostile Mobs to spawn. The Player can track the moon's progress in relation to the Sun by using a Clock.
The Moon goes through eight lunar phases and changes its phase every night. This was added in Update 0.7.4. The phases are (in chronological order):
- Full Moon
- Waning Gibbous
- Last Quarter
- Waning Crescent
- New Moon
- Waxing Crescent
- First Quarter
- Waxing Gibbous
This allows the Player to keep rough track of the passage of time, even after spending a few game days underground.
- Before Update 0.7.4, if The Player flew high enough in Creative Mode, the moon could be seen under the world.
- Night time lasts 7 minutes, plus 1.5 minutes each of sunrising and sunsetting.
- Grass Blocks or Saplings do not grow in moonlight. However, they won't decay in moonlight either.
- When turning off Beautiful Skies, the Moon can not be seen. This is the same as the Sun.
- In Swamps, Slimes will have a slightly higher spawn rate during a full Moon.
- Conversely, Slimes never spawn during a new Moon.
- Before Update 0.10.0, the moon would never appear in Creative Mode because there was no day/night cycle.