The Nether Reactor
The Nether Reactor, sometimes known as the Nether Machine, was a Player-built structure that was added in Update 0.5.0. When activated, the Reactor spawned many Blocks and items and a tower of Netherrack around it. It was removed in Update 0.12.1, due to the addition of the Nether.
- The Reactor remained active for about 45 seconds.
- When the Reactor is active, a Netherrack spire would spawn. After deactivation, some Netherrack blocks would disappear, causing there to be holes in the spire.
- The Gold and Cobblestone blocks would turn into Glowing Obsidian, then after deactivation, would turn to regular Obsidian.
- The tower would spawn Zombie Pigmen if playing on normal. They spawned in groups of 2-3. Unlike PC and Console edition, they were naturally Hostile.
- This changed when they added the Nether.
- When in multiplayer, all players would have to stand next to the Reactor to activate it.
- Sugar Cane
- Red Mushrooms
- Brown Mushroom
- Nether Quartz
- Glowstone Dust
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Melon Seeds
- Before Update 0.11.0, mining away the Nether Reactor Core during activation would cause eternal night. Even if the player sleeps in a Bed the player will only see one minute of daylight before it returns to night.
- When the player activated the Nether Reactor, the Gold and Cobblestone blocks would turn to Glowing Obsidian. The Core can also be easily mistaken for turning into Glowing Obsidian.
- After 0.11.0, the Reactor cannot be created on Bedrock level.
- In Update 0.5.0, the tower generated was originally made out of Obsidian. This was later changed to Netherrack in Update 0.6.0.
- The Reactor did not work in Creative Mode.
- However, the Reactor could continue to work in Creative Mode in Update 0.11.0 after activation in Survival Mode.
- The Nether Reactor was removed in 0.12.1. However, the blocks still exist in game files.
- It was briefly mentioned that it may gain another use in the future.
- Before Update 0.12.1, the Nether Reactor was the only way to gather Netherrack, Glowstone, and Nether Quartz with the exception of Creative Mode or inventory editors.
- When the Reactor is drained, it will turn to night.
For a gallery, see Nether Reactor/Gallery.