The Nether Reactor
The Nether Reactor, sometimes known as the Nether Machine, is a player-built structure that was added in Update 0.5.0. When activated, the Reactor spawns many blocks and items, and most importantly, a tower of Netherrack around it. It was removed in Update 0.12.1.
- The reactor remains active for about 45 seconds.
- After the reactor is deactivated, a Netherrack tower is left in its wake.
- The tower will spawn Zombie Pigmen if playing on normal. They spawn in groups of 2-3. Unlike PC and console edition, they are naturally hostile.
- When activated there are 3 stages of the nether core reactor, no matter what when mined will produce the original reactor.
- When in multiplayer all players must stand next to the reactor to activate it.
- Sugar Cane
- Red Mushrooms
- Brown Mushroom
- Nether Quartz
- Glowstone Dust
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Melon Seeds
- Before 0.11.0 mining away the Nether Reactor Core during activation would cause eternal night. Even if the player sleeps in a bed the player will only see one minute of daylight before it returns to night.
- When the player activates the nether reactor, the gold, cobblestone and Nether Reactor Core block will turn to Glowing Obsidian.
- After 0.11.0, the Reactor cannot be created on Bedrock level.
- If in multiplayer, all Players must be close to the Reactor for it to activate.
- Before 0.6.0, the tower generated was of Obsidian.
- The reactor does not work in Creative Mode.
- The Nether Reactor was removed in Update 0.12.1, however, the blocks still exist in game files.
- The devs have stated it may gain another use in the future.
- Before Update 0.12.1 a Nether Reactor was the only way to gather netherrack.
For a gallery, see Nether Reactor/Gallery.