Certain levels of the Pickaxes are required to mine certain ores (e.g. an Iron Pickaxe is required for Diamond Ore). The variant with least durability is the Wood Pickaxe and the most durable is the Diamond Pickaxe.
- Wooden Pickaxe – Can only mine stone-related Blocks and Coal Ore
- Stone Pickaxe – Can mine anything a Wooden Pickaxe can, and also can mine Iron Ore and Lapis Lazuli Ore.
- Gold Pickaxe – Can mine anything but Diamond, Gold, Bedrock, Obsidian, and End Portal Frames.
- Iron Pickaxe – Can mine anything but Bedrock, Obsidian, and End Portal Frames.
- Diamond Pickaxe – Can mine anything but Bedrock and End Portal Frames.
- Silk Touch allows the player to mine an ore without turning it into an item.
- Efficiency allows the player to mine a lot faster.
- Fortune increases the drop rate of ores.
- Unbreaking makes the durability decrease slower by 10 percent. It can be enchanted to all tools and armor.
Unlike the common belief, Depth Strider is not an enchantment for mining faster underwater, which is actually Efficiency. Depth Strider is for boots.
- Prior to 0.6.1, if a Diamond Pickaxe was used on Bedrock, it would break within 20 minutes, due to Bedrock being unbreakable.
- Golden Pickaxes are the fastest when mining Stone-related and Sandstone-related items, but have only 33 uses, making it the weakest Pickaxe.
- If the player mines a block of a certain ore with a lower-tier Pickaxe (e. g. mining Iron Ore with a Wooden Pickaxe), it will merely destroy it.
- Iron Pickaxes are sometimes found in Village Chests.
- Mining Obsidian is only possible with a Diamond Pickaxe.
- Gold Pickaxes are the only Pickaxes that can't mine its corresponding ore.