A certain material pickaxe is needed to mine a certain ore (Ex: an Iron Pickaxe for Diamond Ore)
Types of Pickaxes
- Wooden Pickaxe (Can mine basic stone-blocks & Coal Ore)
- Gold Pickaxe (Only can mine wooden level items)
- Stone Pickaxe (Can mine Iron & Lapis Lazuli Ore)
- Iron Pickaxe (Can mine Diamonds, Emeralds, Gold, Redstone)
- Diamond Pickaxe (Can mine anything but bedrock)
- Prior to 0.6.1, if a diamond pickaxe is used on Bedrock, it would break within 20 minutes, due to Bedrock being unbreakable.
- Wooden or Stone Pickaxes are useful if you are going on a non-mining adventure as they can clear Stone in case of emergency.
- Golden pickaxes are the fastest when mining Stone-related and Sandstone-related items, but have only 33 uses, making it the weakest Pickaxe.
- If you mine an item with the wrong pick, it will merely destroy it.
- Pickaxes are sometimes found in village chests.
- Mining Obsidian is only possible with a Diamond Pickaxe.
- Gold Pickaxe is the only pickaxe that can't mine its own ore.
- It is often called 'Minecraft's Iconic Symbol'.