A certain material pickaxe is needed to mine a certain ore (ex: an Iron Pickaxe for Diamond Ore). The worst is Wooden and the best is Diamond.
Types of Pickaxes
- Wooden Pickaxe (Can mine basic stone-blocks & Coal Ore)
- Gold Pickaxe (Only can mine wooden level items)
- Stone Pickaxe (Can mine Iron, Emerald, Lapis Lazuli Ore)
- Iron Pickaxe (Can mine Diamonds, Gold, Redstone)
- Diamond Pickaxe (Can mine anything but Bedrock)
- Prior to 0.6.1, if a diamond pickaxe is used on Bedrock, it would break within 20 minutes, due to Bedrock being unbreakable.
- Wooden or Stone Pickaxes are useful if you are going on a non-mining adventure as they can clear Stone in case of emergency.
- Golden pickaxes are the fastest when mining Stone-related and Sandstone-related items, but have only 33 uses, making it the weakest Pickaxe.
- If the player mines an item with the wrong pick, it will merely destroy it.
- Pickaxes are sometimes found in village chests.
- Mining Obsidian is only possible with a Diamond Pickaxe.
- Gold Pickaxes are the only pickaxe that can't mine its own ore.
- It is often called "Minecraft's Iconic Symbol".
Pickaxes can get several enchantments such as Depth Strider and Silk Touch.
- Silk Touch allows the player to mine an ore without breaking it.
- Depth Strider allows the player to mine faster underwater.
- Efficiency allows the player to mine a lot faster.
- Fortune increases the drop rate of ores.
- Unbreaking makes the durability decrease slower.