Shears have many uses in Minecraft Pocket Edition:
- Shears are used to harvest Wool from Sheep without killing them. Upon shearing a Sheep, the Player will get 1-3 Wool, with the color of the Wool depending on the color of the Sheep Sheared.
- Shears are the only way to harvest Leaves, Vines, Dead Bushes, Tall Grass, and Ferns to obtain them as a placeable Block.
- Shears can be used on a Snow Golem to remove the Pumpkin on its head.
- Shears can be used on Mooshrooms to turn them into Cows and obtain Mushrooms.
- When used to destroy Wool Blocks, Shears are the fastest and take no durability damage while doing so.
- Shears can remove String from Tripwire Hooks without activating it.
- 2 Iron Ingots => 1 Shears
- Shears break Stone slightly faster than hand.
- After Update 0.12.1, Shears can be used to remove the head of a Snow Golem. This is no longer a Version Exclusive feature as of PC Update 1.9.
- Shears are unique in that they are one of the few Tools that do not require a Stick to Craft, the others being Flint and Steel, Clocks, and Compasses.
- Shears make a snipping sound when used after Update 0.12.1.
- Shears can be Enchanted through Anvils and Enchanted Books.