Sheep Dyed in various colors
Sheep spawn on Grass Blocks in Light Level 9 or above. They often spawn in flocks of 4 during world generation.
Sheep behave like most other Passive Mobs - they wander aimlessly, ad avoid Water, occasionally bleating.
Since Update 0.6.0, Sheep can be dyed by holding and tapping a Sheep using a Dye. If sheared or killed after being dyed, they drop the color of wool they are dyed. Some Sheep will spawn naturally with a dyed color of pink, black, gray, light gray, white, or brown.
Sheep are attracted towards equipped Wheat and can be Bred using it. When bred, a baby Sheep of one of the parents' colors will spawn. Although, some colors may mix to create a new color. For example, if the Player breeds a red Sheep and a yellow Sheep together, the baby might be an orange Sheep, however, color mixing does not apply to all Sheep pairings.
- Version Exclusive: The Sheep's facial wool color also changes when the Sheep is dyed.
- A "Shear" button was added in Update 0.9.0.
- Before this, Players would often accidentally punch Sheep when shearing them.
- White is the most common Wool color, while darker colors are rarer. Pink Sheep are the rarest with only a 0.164% chance of naturally spawning.
- Easter Egg: If the Player names a sheep "jeb_", its wool will go through the color spectrum. However, if the said Sheep is sheared, its wool will yield its original color before it was named "jeb_".
- After Update 0.15.0, Sheep now drop Raw Mutton when killed.
- Wolves will attempt to hunt down and kill Sheep.
- In Update 1.0, a button was added.
- If an adult Sheep is killed while on Fire, it will drop Cooked Mutton.
- If a Player walks into a Sheep, it is possible to see the sheared texture.
- Sheep have a chance to spawn as a Jockey.
- In Update 1.1, their texture will change, along with Wool's texture.