A Spawn Egg can be used infinitely to spawn Mobs in Creative Mode, by tapping the ground with the Egg. It can also be placed inside a Monster Spawner, and it will automatically spawn Mobs of that type.
A Spawn Egg can be renamed, using an Anvil, and when spawned the Mob will have the nametag of the Spawn Egg. This is however, only possible to do once.
Transfer to Survival Mode
Spawn Eggs are generally not available in Survival Mode, but it is possible to obtain them through the following methods-
- Method 1: The Player can place the Spawn Egg of choice into a Monster Spawner, before switching to Survival, which then will spawn that Mob continously. The Spawn Egg is then not available, but the Mobs will spawn.
- Method 2: The Player can place Spawn Eggs in Chests or Containers whilst in Creative, and then switch to Survival.
- Method 3: If Cheats (Commands) are enabled, it is possible to use the
/givecommand to obtain them in Survival.
List of Spawn Eggs
- Zombie Horse
- Skeleton Horse
- Magma Cube
- Wither Skeleton
- Elder Guardian
- Multiple versions of Minecraft PE have contained bugs in which Spawn Eggs would not be consumed in Survival.
- Before Update 0.9.0, Hostile Mobs could not be spawned in Creative Mode since their Spawn Eggs were not available in the Inventory.
- An "NPC" spawn egg was added to MCPE in Update 0.16.0 Beta 1 when it was accidentally ported from Minecraft: Education Edition.
- It was later removed in Build 4.
- Hostile Mobs spawned using Spawn Eggs in Creative Mode will always be passive towards the Player unless he/she switches Gamemodes.
- Some mobs' spawn egg (like the Wither) cannot be obtained without inventory editing. This also applies to the Ender Dragon.