Unlike most structures, Strongholds are intended to be difficult to locate through conventional means, providing almost no outward indication to exposed areas unless exposed through the surface or through Water. They are usually only encountered by chance, and rarely generate beneath Village Wells. As of Update 1.0, Strongholds can be located using Eyes of Ender.
- Strongholds vary in size but are generally large and complex like a maze, containing multiple rooms, corridors, Libraries, stairwells, dead ends, and other features.
- They mainly consist of Stone Bricks, Mossy Stone Bricks, and Cracked Stone Bricks.
- Strongholds are lit by enough Torches to provide visibility in most areas, though not enough to suppress Mob from spawning.
- In the Portal Room there is a Silverfish Spawner and the End Portal.
It is possible to get loot from Chests present in Strongholds. They are:
- Ink Sacs
- Iron Ingots
- Gold Ingots
- Enchanted Books
- Diamond Horse Armor
- Gold Horse Armor
- Iron Horse Armor
- Ender Pearl
- Very rarely, they will intersect a Mineshaft and/or a Dungeon.
- Strongholds are the only structure where Silverfish Spawners are found.
- Eyes of Ender naturally spawn on the End Portal Frame.
- Most of the Blocks in the entire Stronghold are actually Silverfish Stone.
- Strongholds are by far the biggest Generated Structures, often being larger than Villages.
- The biggest rooms in Strongholds are the Libraries. They contain several hundred Bookshelves, which makes them the ideal place to obtain Books.
- The Libraries also contain Chests with Books and Paper inside.
- Strongholds may generate at Bedrock level, therefore cutting the Bedrock layer and making it possible to access the Void in Survival Mode.
- Strongholds can generate with all five variations of Monster Eggs.
- Very rarely, they will spawn above-ground at the bottom of Deep Ocean Biomes.
- Bug: There was an Android-exclusive bug in which Strongholds could not spawn.
- If a Player leaves a World where there was supposed to be a Stronghold, it would crash the game.
- In the Beta Version of Update 0.16.0, it was impossible to create a World with Strongholds at all, the game would crash and even deleting the World was impossible.
- This bug was fixed in Update 0.16.0.
- As of Update 1.0, Strongholds generate randomly across a World, even as far as the Far Lands, instead of exclusively underneath Villages.
Moss Stone Boulders | Abandoned Mineshaft (Mesa Mineshafts) | Dungeon (New Dungeon) | Mineral Vein | Desert Well | Lava Pools | Fallen Tree | Caves | Ravine | Stronghold | Village | Giant Mushrooms | Ice Spikes | Libraries | Desert Temple | Witch Hut | Jungle Temple | Ocean Monument | Igloo | Nether Fortress | Glowstone Cluster | End City | Chorus Tree | End Gateway Portal