Generally only a few Strongholds, often just one, is generated in a World, making them hard to find. Sometimes they are generated in connection with a Village well.
Almost no outward indications exists, making them hard to find. However sometimes the Player can dig around a Village Well and locate the Stronghold. Sometimes even a door exist at the bottom of such a Well.
Rarely, the Stronghold will intersect with an Abandoned Mineshaft.
Strongholds vary in size but are generally large and complex like a maze, containing multiple rooms often with walls of Iron Bars, corridors, Libraries, stairwells, fountains, dead ends, and other features. Strongholds are lit by enough Torches to provide visibility in most areas, though not enough to suppress Mob from spawning.
It is possible to get loot from Chests present in Strongholds. They are:
|Group count: 1-4|
|Group count: 1-4|
|Group count: 2-3|
|Iron Armor Chestplate||5/99||5.1%||1|
|Iron Horse Armor||1/99||1.0%||1|
|Gold Horse Armor||1/99||1.0%||1|
|Diamond Horse Armor||1/99||1.0%||1|
- Strongholds are by far the biggest Generated Structures, often being larger than Villages.
- Bug: There was an Android-exclusive bug in which Strongholds could not spawn.
- If a Player leaves a World where there was supposed to be a Stronghold, it would crash the game.
- In the Beta Version of Update 0.16.0, it was impossible to create a World with Strongholds at all, the game would crash and even deleting the World was impossible.
- As of Update 1.0, Strongholds generate randomly across a World, even as far as the Far Lands, instead of exclusively underneath Villages.
- Strongholds were the only Generated Structure that could be found by the
/locateCommand prior to Update 1.1.
NaturalLava Pools • Tree (Fallen) • Caves • Ice Spikes • Giant Mushrooms • Moss Stone Boulders • Mineral Vein • Ravine • Fossil
Small StructuresWitch Hut • Desert Well • Igloo • Library • Dungeon
Large StructuresAbandoned Mineshaft (Mesa) • Woodland Mansion • Temples (Jungle | Desert) • Stronghold • Ocean Monument • Village
Nether StructuresNether Fortress • Glowstone Cluster •
End StructuresEnd City • Chorus Tree • End Portal • End Gateway Portal