Tools are Items that are used to increase the efficiency of certain processes.
List of Tools
See specific pages for more detailed information:
- Pickaxe – Used to mine Stone related blocks and Ores faster.
- Axe – Used to chop Wood related blocks and Pumpkins faster.
- Shears – Used to obtain Wool from Sheep, as well as for mining Wool faster, and obtaining Leaves, Vines, Ferns, Large Ferns, Grass and Tall Grass.
- Shovel – Used for breaking Dirt, Sand, Clay, and Gravel faster. Can also be used to turn Grass into a Grass Path.
- Hoe – Used for turning Dirt, Grass Block, and Grass Path into Farmland to grow crops.
- Sword – Used for attacking Mobs and other Players with higher damage. Used to break Cobwebs and Melons faster.
- Flint and Steel – Used for setting Mobs and Blocks on Fire. Also used for igniting Creepers, TNT and a Nether Portal.
- Bow – Used for attacking Mobs and other Players at a distance.
- Clock – Used to tell the position of the Sun and the Moon.
- Compass – Points towards the original spawn point. (Not one set by a Bed)
- Fishing Rod – Used to catch Fish, junk and treasures in Water.
- Maps – Used to load up parts of the world the Player has explored, and to pinpoint the location of other Players.
- Glass Bottle – Used for Brewing and storing of Potions.
- Carrot on a Stick – Used to guide tamed Pigs.
- Shield - Used to block many types of Damage. (upcoming)
- Trident - Used to hunt mobs. (upcoming)
Golden Tools are twice as fast as Diamond Tools, with the exception of the Golden Sword, which does not do the same amount of damage as a Diamond Sword (and thus is slower to kill Mobs). Golden Tools also get better Enchantments than any other Tools.
All Tools, with the exception of a Compass, a Map, a Clock, and a Glass Bottle, can be Enchanted as of Update 0.12.1 with effects like Efficiency, Infinity, Unbreaking, etc.
Most Tools have a limited Durability depending on the tier, or having a fixed amount of uses.
List of Appliances
The Blocks in this list have infinite durability, unless stated otherwise:
- Anvil – Used to Enchant, rename and repair other Tools. Does have durability.
- Enchantment Table – Used to enchant Tools, Armor, and weapons.
- Brewing Stand – Used to make Potions.
- Cauldron – Used to hold water for Potions or Dying.
- Chest – Used to hold other Items.
- Crafting Table – Used to Craft items.
- Dropper – Can hold Items, and then drop them when given a Redstone signal.
- Dispenser – Can hold Items, and then utilise or dispense them when given a Redstone signal.
- Ender Chest- Can hold other Items and accessible from other Ender Chests.
- Hopper – Is a small Container, capable of transfering items to and from other containers.
- Furnace – Used to smelt Items, and cook Food.
- Tools are not stackable due to the fact that they have durability. The exception to this are empty Glass Bottles, Clocks, Maps, and Compasses.