Once the Wither is spawned, it will remain dormant for a few seconds, then release a powerful explosion that can destroy Obsidian. After this explosion, the Player can attack the Wither. It is immune to both Lava and Fire.
When the Wither has above half health, it can be attacked using both melee and ranged attacks. It hovers at a height and shoots Wither Skulls which inflict the Wither II Status Effect to any Mob (except Undead Mobs) and the Player.
When below half health, the Wither will cause an explosion, spawning 3-4 Wither Skeletons (Version Exclusive) and generating a Wither Shield around itself, making itself immune to Arrows. In this stage, it will shoot both Wither Skulls and perform a Dash Attack in which it will make its body flat and charge at the Player (Version Exclusive).
There are two types of Wither Skulls:
- Black Wither Skull – The Black Wither Skull cannot destroy blocks with a Blast Resistance above 20.
- Blue Wither Skull – The Blue Wither Skull moves slower than the Black Wither Skull but it can destroy all blocks (except Bedrock, Invisible Bedrock and End Portal Frame).
Being the strongest Mob in the game, a lot of preparation is required for fighting the Wither. Enchanted Diamond equipment is recommended, alongside Potions of Regeneration and Healing, and Golden Apples.
A Diamond Sword enchanted with Smite V is very effective as it deals extra damage to the Wither, as it is an Undead Mob.
- Unlike other versions of Minecraft, the Wither was added before the Ender Dragon.
- The Wither cannot spawn naturally, it must be assembled, like Iron Golems and Snow Golems.
- The Wither was the first boss added to Minecraft Pocket Edition.
- A likeness of The Wither appears on four sides of Chiseled Red Sandstone.
- It attacks all Mobs except for undead Mobs.
- TNT can be ignited by Wither Skulls that are shot by the Wither.
- The Wither is the sixth mob added to MCPE that is able to apply status effects on the player, the first being the Cave Spider, the second being the Wither Skeletons, the third being the Witch, the fourth being the Stray and the fifth being the Husk.
- The Wither is the fourth flying mob added to MCPE. The first being the Bat, the second being the Ghast, and the third being the Blaze.
PassiveSheep • Cow • Mooshroom • Pig • Bat • Villager • Chicken • Squid • Rabbit
HostileZombie (Zombie Villager • Husk) • Skeleton (Stray) • Creeper • Slime • Spider • Cave Spider • Guardian • Vex • Vindicator • Evoker • Ghast • Blaze • Magma Cube • Wither Skeleton • Witch • Endermite • Shulker • Silverfish
NeutralZombie Pigman • Enderman • Spider • Cave Spider • Polar Bear
TamableWolf • Ocelot • Horse • Llama
BossesEnder Dragon • Wither • Elder Guardian
Utility MobsIron Golem • Snow Golem
JockeysSpider Jockey • Chicken Jockey