Types of Wolves
Wild Wolves spawn in Taiga and Forest Biomes. Tamed Wolves do not spawn naturally.
Wild Wolves may turn hostile towards the Player if they, or nearby Wolves, are attacked. Aggressive Wolves have red eyes and their fur has a rumpled appearance. Their tail is also raised higher than wild Wolves.
Tamed Wolves follow the Player around the world, and teleport towards him/her if they are too far. They shake themselves dry after exiting any body of Water, and can be made to sit and stand by pressing the or the button respectively. Tamed Wolves will chase and kill skeletons without provocation.
Tamed wolves will attempt to attack the Player if he/she shoots himself/herself with a Bow.
Wolves cannot be bred until they are tamed.
Wild Wolves do not have a large amount of health, hence can easily be killed using a Sword. However, if there are more Wolves nearby, they may gang up on the Player, making combat difficult.
- In early Update 0.9.0 beta builds, Tamed Wolves had a black collar.
- Wolves were the first tamable mob in the game followed by Ocelots in Update 0.12.1 and Horses in Update 0.15.0.
- If Hostile Wolves are successful in killing the Player, they revert to Neutral state.
- Feeding a Wolf Rotten Flesh makes their tails droop down.
- Tamed Wolves can enter love mode while sitting.
- However, they cannot breed until they are made to stand.
- Version Exclusive: After Update 0.16.0, Aggressive Wolves will damage the Player in Peaceful Difficulty.
- Bug: Before Update 0.10.0, Baby Wolves couldn't swim in deep water and would drown.
- Bug: In Update 0.13.1, Wolves' collars were white by default, and could not by dyed any other color.